DISCLOSING THE DIAGNOSIS :
"Consider the following before communicating the diagnosis:
1) Gain an understanding of family dynamics and cultural values.
2) When possible, include all of the professionals (nurses, social workers, psychologists and others ) involved in determining the diagnosis in the joint meeting to answer questions and provide specific recommendations.
3) Allow sufficient time to answer questions from the individual and family. A follow-up meeting may need to be scheduled to continue discussion.
4) Discuss how the disease might progress and agree upon a specific care plan that considers the person’s values and beliefs.
5) Provide written educational materials and a list of available community resources, including the Alzheimer’s Association."
Source : The Alzheimer's Association