Alzheimer's Disease in India Consultancy Service

If you have a project, contact us for advice at hendi.lingiah@gmail.com

Join our Family Caregivers, Volunteers and Care Professionals on Facebook and LinkedIn.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

"Understanding dementia home care in India and try learning how to face disorders"

“The Indian Caregiver’s Corner” :

This section is made in part, to explain theoretically the different aspects of Alzheimer’s Disease, the patients and caregivers have to face worldwide… like the impairment process, the different disorders: memory, language, organization… changes in personality and behavior…. But also, the impact of the pharmacological and non-pharmacological interventions like socialization, meditation, physical exercise, the caregiver’s role and difficulties encountered in India. 

Readers are invited to enrich this section to make it an experience-based one, a resourceful section for other caregivers to find there helpful tips/ways to cope with the symptoms, the daily care activities and to face specific situations in their local setting, at home, outside, with family, doctors….


‎"Understanding dementia home care in India" by Swapna Kishore on Swapna Writes Blog, January 9, 2012.
.....
"Being both a caregiver and a volunteer, I am often able to connect with the situation and challenges of home care, because even if I have not faced some of the problems others talk about (and boy, there is a wide range of problems out there), I can extend my experience to imagine it. 

This volunteer’s comment made me realize that perhaps I should do something about this gap of understanding that non-caregiver volunteers experience. I also realized that when some volunteers ended up sounding preachy, insensitive or critical, they may just be naïve and ignorant."
.....
"I wrote a short note to describe what dementia home care involves (my original draft was five times this length, but I reduced it to keep it at a readable length). I think anyone in contact with home caregivers may find it useful to get some idea of what caregivers are experiencing." (in India)

http://swapnawrites.wordpress.com/2012/01/09/understanding-dementia-home-care-in-india/


"The caregiver learning curve", by Swapna Kishore on Swapna Writes Blog, January 10, 2012. 

"When I started changing my way of talking to my mother, it did not happen overnight. Lapses were frequent in the beginning, then reduced. I could manage the new way of communicating easily for some types of situations but not for others. 

I required constant mental reminders and lip-biting and nail-pressing-into-palms, heaps of deep breaths whenever my old habit would surface and I would determinedly set it aside and behave in a new way. I often caught myself mid-sentence and corrected my way of talking. 

It was exhausting work, but as the payoff started getting visible (better communication, fewer “episodes”), my mistakes reduced. Hey, I would not even call them mistakes; they were part of my learning/ transforming curve. They were unfortunate incidents, but I emerged, as did my mother and I will neither deny and hide them, nor feel guilty about them. I did my best in my own way."

http://swapnawrites.wordpress.com/2012/01/10/the-caregiver-learning-curve/



"About wandering in Dementia Patients", from Swapna Kishore of Dementia Care Notes and Swapna Writes Blog : "What does one do when one hears of an elder who has gone missing, most probably because of the confusion caused by dementia? At what threshold does concern become significant enough to act, and how do different people respond?" 

http://swapnawrites.wordpress.com/2012/01/05/concern-and-support-dementia-and-wandering/




Alzheimer's Disease in India :

Thank you for sharing your experience with us on our Facebook group. I am sure the other Caregivers facing similar situations there would be very moved by seeing all your efforts in making your mother feel comfortable through the disease.

Indeed, each testimony is important for us because other Family Caregivers in India, may find there the support and relief they needed, benefit of your "advises and tips" and you may even have enlighten their pathway then.
So dear Members and Reader, thank you for bringing hope, by participating even if you don't have a "serious" problem/case but even just feelings/thoughts are worth to share. It is really helping us in raising awareness on this disease, to bring support and knowledge for Dementia Care Management in India.





No comments: