Alzheimer's Disease in India Consultancy Service

If you have a project, contact us for advice at hendi.lingiah@gmail.com

Join our Family Caregivers, Volunteers and Care Professionals on Facebook and LinkedIn.

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Brain donation in India, by Swapna Kishore, Bangalore Mirror, 18/08/2012.

"“I don’t want anything of me to go to a waste,” mother would tell Swapna repeatedly. “Donate all that you can of me and the remaining give it to a medical college for research.” Swapna didn’t find the request bizarre; instead it became her mission. 

Mother relentlessly gathered all information about ‘donation’ for as long as Swapna can remember. Ironically, even after developing dementia, she di

dn’t forget. When the family moved to Bangalore from Delhi in 2004, even though the move was traumatic for her, just three days after moving she asked Swapna: “Where is the hospital for donation here?” Swapna found out."...

..."But what I saw proved that there’s no need to be apprehensive. Mother was treated with utmost respect. Everybody involved, the staff and the doctors, treated her gently and with dignity. It was in sharp contrast to what I had experienced when my father had died over a decade earlier. 





I had performed the last rites. And I have had firsthand experience of everybody haggling for money right from the ward boys to the poojaris at the ghat. It felt dirty. But, my mother's donation process was peaceful and dignified. I strongly feel that my mother was right all along in donating her brain and body instead of wasting it by consigning it to flames.”"... 




"How can the medical community succeed in finding a cure for dementia, Alzheimer’s and other such ailments when there aren’t enough brain tissues available for study and research? Showing the way is a dementia patient who donated her brain to India’s only brain bank".


Link: http://bangaloremirror.com/article/81/2012081820120818214216133260e0d60/Don%E2%80%99t-let-your-Brain-go-down-the-Drain.html

No comments: