In India, with hardly any assisted living centres that accept dementia patients, care for late stage patients is done at home. Home must, therefore, be adapted for such care; dementia caregivers must discuss with their doctor for information on setting up home for care, and for the skills to learn for such care.
Home care of a late-stage dementia patient requires good access to medical support, such as doctors who do home visits, pathology labs that can take samples from home, and other such facilities. This is the final stage of the disease, and the patient will begin to deteriorate and fade away, and finally die.
- Setting up the home for care
- Setting up support systems
- Learning home nursing
- Understanding the patient
- Remaining alert on problems related to extended stay in bed
- Remaining alert on co-existing or new medical conditions
- Learning about end-of-life care decisions and consulting with family
- Relating with the patient
- Grief and counselling
- Instructive videos and links
- See also…"