ONE WHO ALWAYS SERVES AND RESPECTS ELDERLY IS BLESSED WITH FOUR THINGS:
LONG LIFE, WISDOM, FAME AND POWER
Indian Gerontological Association is a non-profit organisation devoted to the well being of senior citizens and research on ageing since last 32 years. The Association came into existence in 1967 and was registered in 1968-69 (Reg.No. 212) under the Rajasthan Societies Registration Act. It is also affiliated to International Association of Gerontology.
The need of such an association was anticipated years back and we know how the world over including India, the population of elderly is showing an upward trend. Since this ever-increasing group of population has its own problems in different walks of life it becomes imperative for any balanced and stable society to be concerned about them. And much more importantly any progressive society would like to be enriched by the experience and expertise which only age and time can give.
The basic aim of the association therefore, is to plan and execute comprehensive strategies, in order to make elderly live a meaningful life. Although the association has activities for elderly in any section of population, the direction of the efforts is mainly for the unorganised sector of society. With a view to render services for health care, recreational activity, meaningful occupation and attitudinal revision the Association is engaged in:
1. Publication of a research journal- Indian Journal of Gerontology. Till date we have published 16 volumes.
2. We run a counselling centre (RAHAT-Relief) for senior citizens.
3. Organize lectures and seminars to educate elderly people about the diseases, which are common in old age.
4. We also organise courses on the Preparation for Retirement. The course contains eight modules which includes: 1.Basic information about old age, 2.ageing, health and physical disabilities, 3.Psychological aspect of ageing, 4. Economical aspect of ageing and financial management, 5.Sociological aspect of ageing, 6.Self care practices, 7.Education and awareness building, 8.Issues in care giving.
5. Organize camps for health check up of the elderly and also organize free eye operation camps. 6. We are running a Day Care Centre (UMANG) for elderly people of unorganised sector (economically backward class).
We also give consultancy to those organisations that are working in this field.
7. We are engaged in research work related to ageing and the aged.
8. We have started a health programme for rural elderly. Once in a week homeopathic medicines are given door to door to the senior citizens.